Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ever Have Rude Hotel Neighbors ?

After a long day at a travel convention I set the wake up alarm, switched off the lamp and settled into my hotel bed in Las Vegas, so deliciously soft and inviting that it felt like landing on a cloud.  I had just settled in for a much-needed night of sleep … when there suddenly came a shrilling scream from the room next door. “Oh, my !! ! shut up!! Keep it down....My mother will hear! What kind of music do you want to hear?”

I don’t know about mom, but I could certainly hear the noise from my  neighbor in the next room, who appeared to be having her own personal slumber party at 12:15 in the morning. I gritted my teeth for 20 minutes or so, pulling the covers over my head  attempting to block out the sound — but that just left me suffocating and hot under the blankets.

I contemplated my options:  Should I pound on the wall? Call the front desk? Venture out into the hallway, barefoot and half-dressed to knock on her door and tell her to let to keep it down?

I went with the first option. A bang on our shared wall and a  “Could you please keep it down over there?” seemed to startle the girl into  silence, and I finally went to sleep.

The next morning, I asked a hotel staffer whether or not I did the right thing. He said I should have called the front desk, who would’ve sent a security person up to the room to warn my noisy neighbor. This hotel’s particular policy, after two such warnings the guest would be asked to leave.

Good to know. But on my next trip, I’m adding something new to my packing list: ear plugs.

What would you do?

www.thewaytogotravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment